Friday, April 16, 2010

Feeling lucky?

I just managed to catch a show on Aussie TV on SBS. SBS is a cool channel its something like national geog, history channel, discovery channel all rolled into one, and its free! So there are the shows I like such as mythbusters and Man vs Wild, as well as "boutique" shows ( i call them boutique cos they are like rare, and don't have much commercial appeal) like hitler's bodyguard, a show on the assassination attempts on Hitler, a show about toys around the world, forgot the title, and one i just saw about an attempt to form a team of disabled peopleto take part in the Sydney to Hobart Ocean race.

It was realli inspiring to see these ppl try and do something that a lot of us more abled people probably may not dare to.

Which brings me to the point of this post. There are times in the day and in my life where i absolutely despise the way i am. Don't get me wrong, self-loathing is never good thing, but there are times when I hate myself. Let me explain.

Sometimes things don't go my way, and those of you who know me and my life well enough, will know that the odds are sometimes against me, and I do have the right to complain.

But when I do see people who are truly struck with misfortunes that were never their fault, and not complaining about it, I just and i honestly do, start scolding myself for being a very ungrateful person. Some people are born blind, some born without limbs, yet they don't complain. And i feel horrible really when I think about the times that I feel my life is not good, or good enough.

The truth is people, there will always be others who are better off than you. But the point of this, is to remember that there are a lot of people worse off than you as well. And this is something, at 26 years of age, I still need to remind myself everyday.

And in a way it has motivated me to look at certain things when I get back home. I realli feel I haven't contributed enough to the community at large. I love what has happened at VJSG, and I'd like to think that I had a small part in it, but yeah I think its also time to move on to affecting larger people.

At the same time, I need to constantly remind myself of how lucky I am, and I hope you do too, whoever you are.

I saw a wheelchair bound guy today, who got rejected from being on the crew, and he said, "I think about this and of course I'm disappointed. But I look at myself, and I remember how lucky I am. There are so many people worse off than me, and 99 percent of disabled people aren't as lucky as me." - this coming from a man paralysed waist down.

Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home